Sellmark Corporation® was founded in 2000 by James Sellers as a full-service marketing firm in Coppell, Texas. Sellmark observed that most company marketing investments weren’t being made to effectively connect with consumers. Sellmark emphasized the importance of “sell-marketing”—Sellmark’s strategy tying sales and marketing efforts together—as well as professional salesmanship to ensure exceptional customer satisfaction and a close customer partnership.
During this time, it was extremely difficult to get a marketing firm off the ground. Along with the rest of the country in the early 2000’s, the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex suffered a severe economic downturn, significantly decreasing corporate investments in marketing initiatives due to major company budget cuts. With the strong emphasis on the need for marketing strategies, Sellmark continued to offer its services to a variety of clients, but began looking for additional areas to increase revenue.
Current Chief Executive Officer Dianna Sellers began managing distribution opportunities for Sellmark. Dianna was approached by a foreign owner of a U.S.-made ship fleet used for global oil exploration needing parts and repairs. She began contacting suppliers for the industrial parts, accumulated all the materials needed to re-outfit the fleet, operating out of her garage. By the end of 2002, Sellmark strategically decided to cease offering marketing services and utilized its marketing expertise as a product distributor. Initially, Sellmark began importing outdoor clothing from Russian lines. Later that year, Sellmark leaped into the optics business with the successful market launch of Yukon Optics in the U.S.
In 2007, Sellmark radically redesigned its business once again to meet the changing needs of its customers and the outdoor industry. Sellmark began manufacturing a wide range of outdoor products under different brands and in various categories. Sightmark® was introduced at SHOT Show 2007 in response to the growing popularity of the modern shooting market. The goal behind Sightmark was to provide state-of-the-art optics and accessories to make the modern sporting rifle, shotgun and pistol as accurate as possible. Sightmark quickly earned several patents and awards from industry associations and publications, and has become one of Sellmark’s top-selling brands to date.
Sellmark’s Firefield® brand was launched in 2009 in response to the slowing economy, bringing a variety of extreme shooting sports optics and accessories to the market. Designed for the next-generation shooter at an attractive price point, the mission behind Firefield was to concentrate on providing quality products for a new audience that is looking to take their shooting proficiency to a new level.
In order to further its development of electro-optical technology to take over North American operations, Sellmark partnered with Pulsar in 2010. The move expedited the development of new military and law enforcement products under the Pulsar brand and further increased thermal, digital and Generation 3 night vision market share. Sellmark became responsible for all customer service, warranty service, Gen 3 production, marketing and sales of all Pulsar products to all markets in North America. Additionally, Sellmark created a Law Enforcement and Military Team with both military and law enforcement experience to further develop distribution channels and coordinate greater marketing efforts.
In 2011, the new 33,000 square-foot Sellmark headquarters was completed, combining the company’s corporate offices and a large warehouse to handle the increase in defense-related materials and technology being produced on location. The new facility allows more space for research and development, production, and distribution of ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) regulated products. Sellmark has experienced significant increase of U.S. production since the relocation occurred.
Sellmark’s management system became officially ISO 9001:2008 certified in 2012, placing it among an elite group of outdoor product manufacturers. Sellmark obtained the esteemed International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001:2008 certification for meeting the guidelines set out by the ISO Standards. This certification supports Sellmark’s corporate objectives, while reinforcing a culture of continuous improvement. ISO 9001:2008 certification allows Sellmark to work more closely with technology leaders, specifically other ISO-certified companies, and to pinpoint any shortcomings and identify effective solutions. One major positive result is the ability to thoroughly track quantity and on-time shipments. Sellmark has experienced a more-than 99 percent on-time shipping rate since implementation.
On December 21, 2012, Sellmark launched 12 Survivors in conjunction with the vastly popular End of Days (according to the Mayan calendar) to highlight the enduring spirit of humanity, and that we, by nature, are survivors. The brand supports the outdoor lifestyle by providing quality products such as multi-tools, backpacks, knives, camping gear, first-aid kits and night vision monoculars. These products cater to hikers, campers, preppers and survivalists. From disasters to outdoor adventures, 12 Survivors provides products to ensure that the human race will live on and together, and last forever.
Sellmark introduced its latest brand, Southern Crossbow™, in the beginning of 2013 to meet the growing interest in tactical crossbows. The mission behind Southern Crossbow is to provide solutions that enhance the crossbow hunting and shooting experience, giving hunters and shooters more quality, versatile and effective options. Built on the idea of integrating age-old American resourcefulness and perseverance with modern equipment, Southern Crossbow fills a specific niche in the market by incorporating the style and customizable traits of a tactical weapon’s platform with an innovative crossbow structure.
Currently, Sellmark is growing market share in more than 50 countries and many quality retailers in every state across the U.S. To date, Sellmark products and brands have been sold in more than 5,000 locations around the world. Some retailers include Academy Sports & Outdoors, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Frankonia and Gander Mountain.
In order to become the No. 1 developer of brands and products for the outdoor lifestyle markets, Sellmark strives to continue creating unique product designs and brands that sell. With more research and development under way, the goal is to launch a brand focused on a new market every one to two years, and expanding a continuous portfolio of registered patents and trademarks.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2008 - Optics Planet Brilliance Award for Best Digital Night Vision – Yukon Ranger
- 2008 - Field & Stream Gear of the Year – Sightmark Boresights
- 2009 - Outdoor Life Editor’s Choice – Sightmark Q5 Triple Duty Flashlight
- 2009 - Outdoor Life Optics Test Great Buy – Yukon Firefall 15-45x60 Spotting Scope
- 2010 - Optics Planet Brilliance Award Best Tactical Laser Less Than $100 – Sightmark CRL
- 2010 - Optics Planet Brilliance Award Best Night Vision Riflescope – Pulsar Digisight N550
- 2011 - Optics Planet Best Night Vision Riflescope – Pulsar Digisight N550
- 2011 - Optics Planet Best Night Vision Binoculars – Yukon Viking Binoculars
- 2012 - Optics Planet Best Night Vision – Yukon Ranger 5x42 Digital Night Vision Monocular
- 2013 - Predator Xtreme Readers’ Choice Silver Award in Reflex Sights Category – Sightmark
- 2013 - Predator Xtreme Readers’ Choice Bronze Award in Night Vision/Thermal Category – Pulsar
- 2012 - UTA Early Career Achievement Award (James Sellers)
- 2012 - The Fort Worth Business Press 40 under 40 (James Sellers)
- 2012 - Small Business Champion of the Year in Tarrant County
- 2012 - Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) Patriotic Employer Award
- 2012 - Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) Above and Beyond Award
- 2012 - Became NSSF Voting Members
- 2012 - Earned ISO 9001:2008 Management Certification
- 2012 - Nominated for Small Business of the Year for Mansfield
- 2012 - Inc. 500|5000 Fastest Growing Companies in the U.S. (ranked No. 2,154)
- 2013 - Inc. 500|5000 Fastest Growing Companies in the U.S. (ranked No. 2,552)
- 2013 - Fort Worth Business Press Top 100 Private Companies Award (ranked No. 65)
- 2013 - Dallas 100™ Fastest-Growing Companies (ranked No. 57)
- 2013 - Dallas Business Journal Top Women-Owned Businesses (ranked No. 17)
- 2014 - Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Year Award Nominee
- 2014 - EY Entrepreneur of the Year Southwest Regional Finalist
- 2015 - Dallas Business Journal Top Women-Owned Businesses